I started Florida Through my Eyes because I enjoy photography and I don’t enjoy over-development (a common occurrence in parts of Florida). Over time it has grown into meanderings over art, photography, travel, and more. Thanks to my recent vacation, I’ve extended the segment to include North Carolina which made me think about something. There’s a whole big beautiful world out there, and I only occupy an infinitesimally small portion of it (cursed physical limitations!).
I wanted to be able to extend the segment out to include the entire world (it’s not ambition so much as excitement over our planet), but I couldn’t quite figure out how. Recently, I was visiting home and talking with my mom, Wendy, about the “Through my Eyes” posts. Wendy has painted since she was a teenager, excluding a long break taken while raising her children (thanks mom), and she pointed out that her paintings are little snapshots of her Florida captured on canvas. In essence, they are Florida through her eyes. Suddenly inspiration came full circle.
There are so many ways to see the world and just as many ways to translate what you see. It seems like the ways to do so are increasing by the day, and I’d like to know more about how people translate their space and why they feel driven to do it.
And that’s where I’m going with The World Through Our Eyes, would you like to come with me? You’re an integral part of the journey you see, so I do hope you will join me. All you need to do so is the following:
- Sift through the drifts of art you have piling up around your home (creative types always have a few) and pick out some stuff. It can be anything you consider art (even last night’s mashed potato sculpture). Visual, auditory, written, mathematical, anything.
- Put your artworks in an email (if it’s a mashed potato sculpture, or something like it, just take a picture and put that in the email).
- Include a link to your blog/website/facebook page/ etc.
- Answer this question: What drives you to create?
- Send your email to email@example.com with “WTOE ARTIST ENTRY” in the subject line, capitals and all.
This is a continuing segment, there is no contest, and if your art is not featured right away please do not feel badly. If I get a lot of entries I will consider running the segment more than one day a week, or possibly featuring several artists in one day.
My end goal is to create a gallery of art (and answers) from different creative people all around the world while encouraging discussion on the what and why of artistic expression. I look forward to your submissions!